Hourglass has recently released a finishing powder called Ambient Lighting Powder in six shades. I can’t quite recall this much hype surrounding a new release in the beauty world before. Of course I had to see for myself what this magical powder was about. After much debating I’ve finally settled on the shade, ’Diffused Light’.
Hourglass Ambient Powder is “a groundbreaking collection of finishing powders that capture, diffuse, and soften the way light reflects on the skin. Ambient’s illuminating particles are one of the first ever to exhibit both photoluminescence and color-correcting capabilities.” The six powders come in a variation of shades with different illuminating abilities.
A plastic compact houses the Ambient Powder which sits raised in the middle like a soft cushion. The powder is finely milled and incredibly soft, although not too soft where you will receive any fallout. It contains the finest shimmer that softly reflects light in the most flattering way. I go for an all over face application with this both day and night.
Diffused Light is a soft, warm yellow power said to reduce redness, eliminate shine and give skin clarity. While the powder is mainly marketed as an all over finishing powder you can certainly use them as a highlighter as I am seeing some people do. The Ambient powder doesn’t have the setting abilities as my usual go-to and I must layer it on top on certain areas especially my under eye. As a person not to keen on powder and its mattifying finish, I am a huge fan of this one.
Diffused light does not give me a powdery finish but rather a luminescent, ‘lit from within’ look. It softens and blurs imperfections and any color inconsistencies. It works beautifully to diminish any red-tones. This shade worked well for my light complexion and I have tested and approved it on my tanned skin as well.
Does Hourglass Ambient Powder’s live up to their hype? I say, absolutely! The powder is stunning and has made its way into my everyday routine. Whether I use a tinted moisturizer or a medium foundation Diffused Light works to give me a perfect finish.
The six shades:
- Diffused Light – reduce redness, eliminate shine, gives skin clarity
- Ethereal Light - and opalescent sheer, cool white powder that mimics a moonlit glow
- Radiant Light - extend a summer glow, enhance your overall complexion with a believable subtle warmth (see it reviewed on The Beauty Sample)
- Mood Light – mimic the softest most-forgiving light and reveal your lightest complexion
- Dim Light - the perfect balance of warm and cool tones, blur imperfections and bring light to your most radiant complexion (see it reviewed by Glitter Geek)
- Luminous Light – soft, incandescent candlelit glow (see it reviewed on the beauty look book)