A very unexpected look this summer among this season’s hottest trends is the dark lip. We saw it come to a head at this year’s MET gala. This look is sophisticated and chic, a great alternative to a red lip. This bold lip trend ranges from deep shades of burgundy, brown, purple, plum, and flat black. This dark lip color looks great with a tan, which also makes it more wearable. To keep it fresh, pair it with a white shirt, it’s a great look. I picked out a few of my favorite tones and formulas to help guide you and included some products to complete the look. I recommend using a lip liner with this look for a clean line, such as MAC longwear lip pencil in Absolutely It.
- Nars Pure Matte Lip Pencil in Damned – a very wearable deep magenta (my pick) (sephora.com)
- Chanel Rouge Coco #29 Ballet Russe (chanel.com)
- MAC Lipstick in Film Noir – a deep brown (maccosmetics.com)
- Nars Lipstick Vendanges – an easy to wear sheer grape shade (sephora.com)
- Yves Saint Laurent in 8 Rouge Pur Couture – a deep red/purple – (yslbeautyus.com)
When wearing this trend I chose to keep the rest of my face fairly simple. Choose peach, pink, or nude beiges on the eyes and warm up the cheeks with a nude blush. Match your lips with a deep plum nail polish or lighten it up with a beige pink. Brighten up your complexion with a natural looking highlighter.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Eyeshadow in Pearly Peach 153 – a peach gold shimmer (sephora.com)
- Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Monogamous – a pale milky pink (sephora.com)
- Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Dark Side of the Moon – a deep aubergine (beauty.com)
- Benefit High Beam Highlighter – (benefitcosmetics.com)
- Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Exposed – a warm nude (tartecosmetics.com)
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Liner in 13 Mat Black (sephora.com)
Will you be wearing this season’s dark lip trend?