NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation is said to be a  “glowing, satin-finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage that immaculately evens skin tone. Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complexion Brightening Formula, it leaves skin hydrated, more luminous, softer and smoother. Used daily, Sheer Glow Foundation improves the skin’s brightness and texture.”

When seeking out a foundation I opt for one that provides a natural and glowing finish. What I expect from a foundation is for it to ultimately disappear into my skin giving the illusion that I am not wearing makeup at all, whether it is a light or full coverage formula. I just want to state that this can certainly be achieved from a foundation that still provides ample coverage. As a fan of NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer, I picked this up as a heavier foundation for Autumn. I had rather high hopes for this foundation as it came highly recommended as well.

Nars sheer glow is a moist foundation with light buildable coverage. There is a light pleasant scent which ultimately smells of skin care. The formula is very creamy, of which I expected flawless coverage, but did not receive. I first applied this foundation on clean, moisturized skin, using a foundation brush then buffing it in with a stippling brush. The foundation was very hard to blend, resulting in a patchy/uneven appearance as well as a trail of brush marks. It clung to area’s where my skin was dry and settled into pores, making them appear more pronounced. The finished result was not ‘glowing’ in any respect and even powdery on some parts.  I applied the foundation a second time using a primer which made application much easier. It blended better, however still clinging to the drier areas of my face (which are not at the current time relatively dry) and settling into pores. I was exceedingly disappointed with this foundation. I didn’t try any further manipulation, I don’t see it reason in working so hard to make a product work.

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation comes in a great selection of 20 shades. I was matched with Deauville (light 4) by the Nars MUA who then grudgingly sold me my final selection, Punjab (medium 1).  Punjab is for medium with golden peachy undertones, and suitable for my NC25 skin tone. There is no pump with this foundation, although I didn’t much mind. There is one available for sale separately.

wearing NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Punjab

(also wearing theBalm Time Balm concealer in light/medium under eye area, liquid liner, mascara, and gloss only – no powder)

detailed photo (notice how pores appear larger and how foundation sits in them, also notice the patchy appearance to the right of nose)

NARS Sheer Glow available (here)

Have you tried NARS Sheer Glow Foundation? I would love for you to share your thoughts!

This entry was posted in Makeup and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

1. Thats dissapointing it wasn’t what you were hoping for. I see what you mean about settling in the pores, but you still look gorgeous! xx

2. lovenikiblog says:

I don’t think you even need makeup!

Oh no, did you get a refund?
    You skin looks flawless nevertheless! I need to check out that undereye concealer btw :O looks good.

4. Juliette says:

It does sit in the pores… That’s so disappointing! I love the Pure Radiant tinted moisturizer and was thinking of trying this foundation. Glad I read your review and saw your pictures first. 🙂

5. You have amazingly beautiful skin! I love all your photos 🙂

Good to know, definitely won’t be picking this up! I use Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer but ended up picking up the Nars Tinted Moisturizer last month when I ran out of Laura Mercier…I figured I’d love it since so many people do but I still prefer Laura Mercier! I think it absorbs into my skin better while the NARS kind of sits on top and is a bit streaky and chalky. So odd how different skin can make a product work completely differently! XO

7. jessmittens says:

What would you say is the best foundation for covering up pores? Mine also makes mine appear larger, but financially tight times means I have to use it all before I buy another one!
    Sorry if you’ve answered this above ^^
    Your skin looks great, aside from the patchy nose and enlarged pores.
    Sigh, one day there’ll be perfect foundation!

• Hi! Let’s see, I love Nars Pure Radiant TM, YSL Touché Éclat (light coverage), ysl Teint Radiance(more coverage than éclat), Fresh Umbrian Clay foundation (more coverage than all previous) I havnt had trouble with any of these and visible pores, I would stay away from Matter foundation. I adore all of these foundations, Im always testing new ones. I love these questions 🙂 any time!
      xx

8. mikmik90 says:

I’m a stickler for good quality pictures and I’m super impressed with your blog! Just started following on bloglovin and excited to see more 🙂
    xxkarima
    @ http://www.shamelessfripperies.com

9. LifeOfBun says:

How the heck do you look so good in close-ups! Loved that you showed the pores, very thorough ^_^

• Thank you 🙂 its not for a lack of trying. I do have good skin, although not always. I know a skin machine like Clarisonic or Olay pro X has made a world of difference. I also take very good care of it.
      🙂

• LifeOfBun says:

That’s true, the clarisonic is amazing!! They don’t sell them here in belgium though, I have to get my brushheads from online stores! >_<

10. claire says:

You have very good skin. I ‘like’ this foundation, since I have very dry skin, this foundation doesn’t work for me most of the time but if it works, than it looks good, haha. Great review!

11. your skin is flawless ❤

12. Very good review…I never tried any of the Nars products…mainly because Ihave to travel to the capital to get it but hmm yea I do see what you mean with the pores. But your skin is super flawless. I don’t know if I will ever try Nars as I have fallen in love with YSL haha but…I am travelling to the capital next month so I might just have to try the Nars Pure Radiant 🙂

• I love Nars, this is just the one item that has failed me. Ahh.. YSL. 🙂 let me know of you try the Pure Radiant.. Samples are good for trying 🙂
      xx

• I will definitely be getting a sample of it next month. I actually got a sample of the laura mercier tinted moisturiser in bisque and I felt, even though I have oily skin mainly, it was very dry and hard to blend…it would just sit there and not budge and I got it in the colour bisque which I think is too dark for me…I feel like going back and seeing if they could match me at least. I really want that tinted moisturiser to work haha 🙂

Oh wow that’s disappointing! I wouldn’t get this just because it doesn’t come with a pump (I’m a bit of a neat freak. Don’t want to make a mess), but if on top of that it’s going to sit in my pores and be a pain to blend… I’m glad you could return it!

14. You are absolutely gorgeous, even with tiny dots of foundation in your pores, lol! I had this same experience with the Tarte Maracuja Miracle Foundation, which stunk because it did such a good job of covering blemishes.

• Thank you so much Kristen, haha. I find so often that foundation formulas are more often bad than good. I tried the Laura Mercier Creme foundation and while it look so beautiful from far away I just couldn’t get over that I could see some dry spots making the makeup look badly applied. I used to have bad breakouts in my mid-twenties and my absolute favorite foundation for concealing blemishes is the Fresh Umbrian Clay foundation it also has great ingredients for the skin, only I have heard recently that it is going to be discontinued. It’s my favorite for a completely flawless medium coverage while still looking natural, I’m a bit sad 😦

• glambunctious says:

Oh no! I hate that your favorite product is being discontinued! There should be a law against this! Have you tried the NARS Sheer Matte? I’m so tempted by it but it’s going to require a run to the store to get shade matched b/c it seems like NARS leans yellow and I lean pink! I agree with you, too, that more foundations turn out to be disappointing underperformers rather than amazing HG products. I think my current fave one is Illamasqua Skin Base. It gives great coverage without feeling or looking heavy. I’m a bit of a foundation hoarder so I always have several in my rotation, lol!

15. Your skin still looks flawless! What lipgloss were you wearing in this picture??

16. Bella says:

I thought it was just me that has problems with this foundation. Been trying it for a few days, using different method, without primer, with primer, blending with foundation brush, buffing brush, beauty blender, the result always the same, after a few hours I can see it settling in my pores and clings badly to dry patches just like in thr picture shown above. I bought this foundation because beauty gurus raves about it so I thought I’d give it a try, see what all the fuss is about. This is my first non drug store foundation and I was very disappointed with it. Will not repurchase ever.