Sweet Honey Honey

There is a new sweet ingredient in town causing a ton of buzz…

honey-honey

Remember the rise of coconut oil? Suddenly there was a ton of attention surrounding the one-ingredient-wonder. An influx of diets, DIY’s (I did one here), and skin care products featuring the multipurpose oil were everywhere. Even a coconut oil-based cosmetics line was created. It seemed like every beauty was on it, slathering themselves head-to-toe, as the ingredient went from pantry to medicine cabinet. Well, there is a new ingredient that is making a lot of noise in the beauty world.

Marc Jacobs just released a fragrance based on its sweet scent. More popularly, its making a big appearance in skin care, its honey! To be more specific, Raw Active Manuka honey, the gold standard. This is not the refined, sticky one your used to. The use of honey in skin care is not anything new, by any means. Indian brides have been using honey mixed along with tumeric as a face mask to brighten skin before their weddings for centuries. I’ve dabbled with the use of honey in skin care, but only recently have I started using it regularly in my skin-care routine both as a mask and as a cleanser.

In short, Honey has plenty of benefits to treat a variety of skin conditions. It contains natural antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiviral properties and can be used as a cleanser, moisturizer, and mask to:

• treat acne
  • cleanse
  • treat and prevent wrinkles
  • calm irritated skin
  • moisturize dry skin
  • treat wounds and scars
  • tone and tighten pores
  • protect skin from sun damage
  • promote glowing skin

Manuka honey can be found in a variety of skin care products, including one of my absolute favorite masks from Osmia Organics, the Detox Exfoliating Mask. Its making an appearance in cleansers, balms and even cosmetics. You can use it straight from the jar or mix up some DIY treatments like my girl Britanie from beautybybritanie.com. Any way you choose, its time to get your honey on!

Do you use honey in your skin care?

This entry was posted in Skincare, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Sweet Honey Honey

1. You are right! I have a mask with honey in it and it works really well! But I wonder if this is such a good idea since bees aren’t doing so well.

• Hi Tracy. There has been no correlation between honey collecting and honey bee deaths. The brands I have featured are also organic so their is no use of pesticides in production of their honey, which seems to be one of the main ideas behind the deaths (in agriculture). Believe me, I love the bees!! Brands like Wedderspoon will help support research and awereness of the epidemic.

2. Isabelle says:

A friend of mine has the Antipodes Manuka Honey mask & I’ve tried it once during a sleepover and it was great! My skin really liked it. I’m also loving the The Body Shop honey line, it’s just so delicious in scent and really picks me up in the morning.

3. Britanie says:

I LOVE me some Raw honey! Thank you for sharing my DIY recipe, babe! I use Raw honey in like 99% of my DIY recipes haha. It’s just amazing. I can’t get enough of it!

Hey Taylor, I’ve got to try some Manuka honey as cleanser one of these days! I really miss the honey products L’Occitane launched in the beginning of the year. I hope they’ll bring them back permanently!

5. Hi Taylor, you’re right, I have been seeing more things with honey in the last year or so. I hadn’t thought about it until now. Also seems like coffee is on the rise as a skincare ingredient too

6. I just walked past Body Shop and saw all these honey promo. I love honey so I don’t mind some honey overload 🙂

7. Great blog post. I love all these new natural ingredients into our cosmetics and body products.

8. satine89 says:

For the last three days I’ve been doing a homemade honey+lemon mask..it’s amazing!!!!

I don’t use honey right now but I’ve been hearing so much about it, I really need to get on it! I had bought some manuka honey when I was in NZ but I used it for internal purposes, like if I were sick or something, and now it’s all gone. I’ll have to pick some more up!

• Yes you need some Manuka Honey 🙂 I also have heard its good for Eczema. It also cleared up my boyfriends Perioral Dermatitis.

• AmyEWrites says:

I have eczema and perioral dermatitis (caused by the steroids for the eczema, sigh) – this sounds fantastic – how did your boyfriend use it, please?

• Hi. Thats the problems with chemical steroids. He uses it as a cleanser or keeps it on as long as he can, when he can. I have personally just developed eczema on the sides of my nose, so I am scouring for remedies. Soaking my skin in Epson Salt has popped the blistering, however I am still trying treatments for the dryness.
        I hope you find relief soon!

• Also, Osmia Organics founder personally suffer from PD and has developed products specifically for the condition, if you are interested.

• AmyEWrites says:

Oh wonderful, thank you so much for this advice. I’m on all organic, natural skincare and cosmetics, and I have lovely smooth skin and small pores between the eczema round my eyes and PD on my chin, but skin conditions are so hard to beat! Really trying to kick the steroid habit. Hope you’re on the mend soon too.